Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Updated Score: Lisa 1, Cancer 0

The battle has officially begun! I've scored my first point in the war against breast cancer, in the form of my first chemo treatment today. One treatment down, 15 to go!

Mitch and I started the morning in "chemo class" ... basically a Q&A session about the drugs, side effects, procedures during treatment, etc. Then he headed out to the pharmacy with my prescriptions for 2 anti-nausea drugs and a steroid, and I got the treatment rolling. It took about 2.5 hours to complete the meds, which included the chemo drugs and also some anti-nausea meds by IV drip. Love having my medi-port for that and didn't need an IV put in today. My chemo regime consists of 2 drugs, and when starting the 2nd one, I had to eat 2 cups of ice cubes to get my mouth as cold as possible ... which has a positive effect on not developing canker sores as a result of treatment. Hopefully that works. Other people have brought slushies, ice pops, iced drinks,etc. I may have to take something a little more tasty next time.

I was the definite rookie in the class, mostly noticeable to me by being a patient who had not "yet" lost their hair. And I was by far the youngest in the room until toward the end of my procedure, when a younger guy came in. It was amazing that there were 12 of us receiving treatment at the same time, in a room of 12 recliners, arranged in a big u-shape. The conversations in the waiting room were all talk of progress, side effects and war stories by the veteran patients, and I was glad to have a movie to watch on the iPad during treatment and not partake in those conversations too much then. Although all of the other patients were really nice and we did chat a little. I had the good window seat, and lucked out! I made a reservation for the same chair next time :-)

Treatment #2 will take place 2 weeks from today, on May 1. The first four treatments happen over 8 weeks, being every other week. Then for June-July-Aug I'll have 12 weekly treatments of a different drug.

Yesterday when leaving lunch with some friends, it was so windy that the gusts blew the restaurant door out of our hands, and it was tough to even walk across the parking lot. But look what was on the ground right in front of my friend when she got to her car. On a day when nothing stood still for long in the wind. Coincidence?

Thanks to everyone for supporting my Race for the Cure Team ... we're up to 45 team members and last time I looked, we were in the lead for fundraising in our team category. You are all inspiring me!

5 comments:

  1. Yay for the first one being over!!! Glad you got the good chair. :)

    And that clover? That's pretty cool. Remember how ladybugs were our sign about referrals? I think shamrocks are officially your sign and no, I sure as heck don't think the fact it appeared the very day before you started chemo was a coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you my friend!!!! And that's no coincidence!!!!! You are so strong and a leader to our LL family!!!! I'm right here for you sister!!!!! love you so very much!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you have that first treatment under your belt!! You have such a great positive attitude and that is half the battle!! Continue to stay strong and positive and you will kick this cancer to the curb....where it belongs!!

    Thinking of you and continuing to pray.

    All my best,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one tough lady, my friend!!! Yippee yahooey's for the 1st treatment behind you! So happy Mitch is by your side through all of this. Even if he is an ol' grouch, he's a hell of a man!!! Thoughts and prayers for you and your family! Giant bear hugs for you and Abby from Bethany and I!!!
    Hugs and thoughts,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa! It's Sally! I'm not sure how to do this other than anonymous.
    Thought of you a lot yesterday and so glad the first treatment is behind you.
    I came across the following:

    Cancer is Limited
    It cannot cripple love
    It cannot shatter hope
    It cannot corrode faith
    It cannot destroy peace
    It cannot Kill friendship
    It cannot suppress memories
    It cannot silence courage
    It cannot invade the soul
    It cannot steal eternal life
    It cannot conquer the spirit

    Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete