Sunday, March 18, 2012

2012 seemed like such a promising year ...

It started off well, anyway. I began 2012 celebrating the accomplishment of my 2011 goal to lose 50 pounds and continue working toward a more healthy and active lifestyle. Our oldest will graduate from college and start his career as a teacher. Our youngest son will complete middle school and move onto high school in the fall. And in December, 2012, we'll celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. It seemed like a big year.

A big year it is. After a couple of weeks of not feeling right, going to multiple doctor's appointments and undergoing some scary tests ... the diagnosis came in around St. Patrick's Day. Breast cancer. Really?!?

As much as I know I have to live one day at a time now ... it's overwhelming and sometimes just downright scary. I feel like we stole a bit of our kids' childhood innocence when we had to break the news to them. They shouldn't have to worry about stuff like this ... they should be focused on track practice, dance lessons, and student teaching.

Since it's so close to St. Patrick's Day, it seems like I have been surrounded by shamrocks all week. Everywhere I look, those little 3 and 4 leaf clover symbols are everywhere. Drew took a trip to Ireland in January and brought us a few things that I just received this weekend when we saw him for the first time. More shamrocks. Two special items of jewelry for me, and a fun thing for TJ and Abby to grow a shamrock plant. I read the label and it hit me why I had been seeing shamrocks everywhere. It read: "According to ancient Irish legend, finding a four leaf clover would bring good fortune. The fourth leaf was said to represent luck, and the others represent hope, faith and love. Now you can grow your own luck!" Photos, CLICK HERE

Luck is welcomed. As are faith, hope and love.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I came across your blog when searching for pink shamrock items for the upcoming Race for the Cure in Portland, Oregon. We will be walking as Team Fighting Irish Kel. That's me. I have a similar diagnosis and treatment timeline as you do.

    Just wanted to stop by and say hi. Keep up the fight and kick cancer's booty! If you're interested in my story, check out my blog at www.FightingIrishKel.com.

    Best of luck to you,
    Kelly in Portland

    ReplyDelete