Family is a funny thing. Some people have close families, some do not. I learned a long time ago that you can love someone and consider them family without a blood connection. Your best friend from grade school, a family friend ... eventually your spouse and their extended family. Maybe that's why adoption was a no-brainer for me, because more of the people who are truly family to me are not actually related to me by a blood connection than those who are!
I work for a Board of Directors, not one direct boss. This is a group of 16-18 businessmen involved in residential new construction and remodeling in an area that covers several counties here in Illinois. Many are about the same age as I am, but whether they are older or younger ... there has always been a camaraderie with them more like brothers than employers. They are good people with solid, Midwestern family values. And they are family. I was diagnosed a few days before our March Board Meeting and I could not envision being in the room with the group and talking about what the future held for me ... and so I first confided in one person, who then took on the burden of sharing the news with the rest of the group. The directive from the Board was clear ... my health is priority, work is second. And I should take the lead ... if being in the office was where I wanted to be, or working from home, or needing a day for myself, I was just to do what the day dictated. You really can't ask for more than that.
Last night was our April Board Meeting, and I have to admit I was a little nervous about seeing them all together in one room for the first time. I've seen some individually, had calls and texts ... but I do still end up being emotional when I see someone for the first time after diagnosis. Meeting time rolled around and as I walked through the office, I saw several vehicles pulling in to park, but no one came in. That seemed odd, and I looked out once and saw a small group outside. I thought maybe they were gathering up first, knowing it would be hard to see me for the first time as well.

Then the door opened and in came a line of about 15 people ... big smiles on their faces ... wearing pink shirts. Of course the tears came for me, and then I was surrounded with hugs. The shirts are printed with a pink breast cancer ribbon and the words "Home Builders Wear Pink" ... and they wore them during the meeting and through the rest of the evening as we hosted a reception and member dinner event for a group of about 40 people.
Many of them have already contributed to the Race for the Cure team, and last night brought another $1200 in personal donations for my cause. Feeling really great about raising $4200 for Susan G. Komen already, I've decided to share the love with the American Cancer Society and will be putting the new donations toward a Relay for Life event that the boys and I will take part in this June.

Blogger changed the photo upload page and I cannot get these two photos to rotate the right direction! Will have to figure that out ... but you get the message from them anyway.The evening also included a special gift from a special lady who does the catering for our meal events at the office ... a platter of Pink Shamrock logo cookies and a very generous donation to the cause. Yesterday was an amazing day, and a day where I was completely humbled by the and love and generosity of those around me ... my work family. You can click on any of the photos to see a larger view.




That brings tears to my eyes...very cool.
ReplyDelete