Results of yesterday's lab work show that I'm tolerating the treatments very well, with white blood counts in the normal range. That means the shot they gave me after the 1st treatment (and I'll have another tomorrow) is able to do what it needs to do in my body ... which is ultimately good for my overall tolerance of the drugs.
I read a great tip in one of the many books given to me about preparing a "chemo bag" to take along with all the things you need. Mine today had bottled water, fruit, peanut butter crackers and hard candy. They want you to drink lots of water to flush the drugs through the system quickly, and my treatment takes 2 hours and goes over the lunch hour, and you don't want your stomach to be empty. The hard candies are helpful for the taste the meds can give you. I also took along an Italian ice cup ... before administering the red medication in the syringes, I have to get the inside of my mouth as cold as possible to help prevent mouth sores from the meds developing later. They definitely have the process down to a science and truly they do all they can to make it as tolerable and easy as possible. The nurses in the room are great and are always laughing and chatting ... they have definitely found their calling in a job that could be really negative.
This morning after taking a shower, there were definite signs that the big hair fall out has officially begun ... it's inevitable, but I haven't had a lot of indications it was happening until the past few days. They predicted 14-21 days after the first chemo, and today is day 14. They were actually surprised to see that I hadn't lost my hair when I came in today ... but then I showed them that it's easily pulled out now, and hasn't been before. They predict much of it will be on my pillow in the next morning or two :-(
There are so many means of support coming my way ... including from a friend, Sally, who also works in the Home Builders Association world, doing the same job as I do but in another city. I received these two pictures and thoughtful message. It's amazing to me that people do something that reminds them to think of me each day ... to be a part of their daily prayers and routines. I'm truly blessed.


" ... just want you to know that you are constantly on my mind. I purchased a pink "We will find a cure" bracelet and also a "Hope" bracelet that I am wearing until you are through all of your treatments."





0 comments:
Post a Comment