It's not like it was a surprise, I knew from the moment the words "you have breast cancer" were spoken that it most likely meant chemo and hair loss. People try with good intentions to tell me it's just hair, it's not a big deal, it will grow back ... but I think in some really primal way, it feels like a final dignity that has been stripped from me in the whole process. By the time I get through chemo, surgery and radiation, won't I have had to deal with enough in a physical sense, do I have to look different too? I had a meltdown last night and then it was time, and the shaving was underway. I've heard of people having head shaving parties and just having fun with it ... but that wasn't working for me. I told the kids no laughing or making fun of me, because I was definitely on the edge emotionally. And they did well, even though I know it has to be unsettling for them as well. I didn't sleep very well, lots of tossing and turning and very aware of the different sensations greeting my head on the pillow.
So this morning I sit here with a part of me that feels much like an alien, not quite sure how to best go out and live the day. Do I leave in a wig? Or a scarf? I'm not at a point where I can hold my head up and walk out as is right now, so I have to find that new sense of self confidence. Maybe I just feel entitled to have this kind of day today, because I've held up well overall, and everyone is due a down point in a medical process that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.
At some point the right coverage will present itself, and I'll continue to move forward. One day at a time, just like I've done every single day since March 15.




You are entitled to feel as angry or sad as you please. No one can tell you how to react nor judge you for your feelings. Every individual handldes their emotions differently. I imagine it will be a rollercoaster of emotions. Just know you have a village supporting you and we are going to be there through the tears, the fears, and everything in between. Love ya, lady.
ReplyDeleteYou, my friend, are entitled to feel any way you wish to feel! Your children and Mitch love you to the ends of earth. They may not know exactly how difficult this truly is for you, but I believe they are sensitive enough to have a clue. Love the new blog look, and so happy you are feeling better!!!
ReplyDeleteLuv ya lady,
Traci