Thursday, December 6, 2012

You Know You're Loved When ...

You know you're loved when something in the media reminds people of you, and prompts them to send you the information to be sure you saw it too. Yesterday's widespread media coverge of new breast cancer medication research study results brought a round of emails, texts and Facebook messages with links to the stories and a heads up to be sure I saw the news. It is encouraging news, and it means a lot that people read it and wanted to be sure I saw it as well.

I started on the drug mentioned in the study (Tamoxifen) in October. At that time, the surgical and medical oncologists told me I'd be on for "5-10 years" and that taking the drug cuts my risk of recurrence in half. Some people can't tolerate the drug and have to take alternative meds, but overall it has been effective in breast cancer patients who have estrogen positive tumors for about 15 years. The basic recommendation was to take it for 5 years, but now research is showing benefit (in terms of lower recurrence and death rates) to remain on the drug for 10 years.

The great thing is that with this study just coming out as I've started the meds ... think how much more will be known in 5 years, when I reach the point of having been on Tamoxifen for the first 5 years. We'll have a much clearer direction after 5 more years of study on it. And in the meantime, it's good to know that is does have the power to help me battle recurrence.

Off to radiation #13 ... 20 to go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment