Friday, December 28, 2012

Radiation Update

Thanks to everyone who took a moment to send a text, Facebook message or email about my last post and the discomfort of radiation ... it's definitely a one-day-at-a-time thing, and really the effects are just at their worst because we are nearing the end. So good news, bad news in that regard! HA

Yesterday the nurse gave me gel bandages that brought some immediate relief. The biggest problem is that the skin has blistered, and those blisters get dry and crusty ... and that causes the skin to get tight and brings discomfort. But the gel bandage keeps the area moist and cool. So they gave me a big box of them today to be sure I have as many as I need while away from radiation Sunday-Tuesday next week.

The nurse also gave me a new ointment today to use in an area that is really tender because the skin has cracked. The lotion and aloe gel I have been using were just stinging too much, but this new ointment is working well. The best part is that they have just handed me all of this in the office ... and while I'm sure it shows up on my insurance billings ... none of these items are available over the counter, but there is no running to get prescriptions filled or pick up supplies. I leave the office with everything I need, and I really appreciate it. That doesn't happen in many medical settings!

Tomorrow morning I'll have treatment #28 (of 33) before we head to Canton for our Scott family Christmas celebration ... and after that time and New Years, I'll be in the home stretch of the final 5 treatments. Thanks again for your love and concern!

0 comments:

Post a Comment