Monday, December 24, 2012

Radiation, Week 6

Today and tomorrow I get a Christmas present from the radiation oncologist ... no radiation treatments since their office is closed for the holiday, haha. So I had my usual weekend off, plus two more days ... and it has been a nice treat to go 3 days so far without a medical appointment!

I'll have treatments on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week ... then 3 days off since the medical office is closed 2 days for the New Year's holiday. Then I'll repeat the Wed-Sat treatment schedule the week of New Years ... and the final treatment will be on Monday, January 7.

The end is in sight!

We're ready for Christmas on the homefront ... the shopping is finished, the wrapping is done ... just ready for family time. It started feeling more like Christmas when Drew arrived on Saturday. It just never feels the same until everyone is here. He has practiced a couple of times for the songs he'll sing at church tonight for the Christmas Eve services, which is a big part of what I enjoy about the holiday. This is about the 15th consecutive year he has had a song in the Christmas Eve service ... starting at age 8 leading the congregation in "Silent Night" and quickly growing to more challening solos as his talent grew. The whole family goes to the 7 pm service, and then Drew and I return for the 9 pm service. I wouldn't miss my chance to hear him sing at the 2nd service, it's just such a big part of my special Christmas memories.

A lot of people have asked me if Christmas feels different for me this year ... any more difficult, or any happier this year. In a time where we still have younger kids enjoying the holiday, it's just necessary for our holiday to be joyful ... but in the big picture, I do think I see it differently from previous years with the point being driven home to me that none of us truly ever know how many more Christmases we will have to enjoy ... and so you should not pass up the moment to make the current one a happy one.

Merry Christmas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment