Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Radiation, Week 4

Today is radiation treatment #16 of 33 ... so after tomorrow's treatment, I will officially be over the halfway point!

Yesterday's treatment was delayed a couple of hours due to the "malfunction" of the machine. When I received a call early in the morning that the machine was down, I was afraid it would mean a complete delay for the day, but they actually did get me in about 2 hours later than my appointment time. I have had lots of x-rays taken late last week and yesterday, and so the time on the table is longer and the extended time with my arms above my head is a little uncomfortable to the point that my hands and fingers get numb and tingly. I'm not completely sure of the purpose of the x-rays, but I would think it is to check and be sure that the radiation is not being directed at places like my lungs and doing any damage, etc.

I'll see the radiation oncologist today for my weekly check up ... that was supposed to be yesterday, but they rescheduled those appointments to today with the delay in treatment times due to the machine.

I'm just starting to feel some of the side effects of treatment with some itchy skin and a little redness. That will only get more intense now with each treatment, and won't completely heal up until 2-3 weeks after radiation has stopped.

The other side effect is fatigue and it is starting to catch up with me a little more too. We are just in a super busy mode right now with school, sports and holiday activities ... and so I'm trying to take it all one day at a time, but there is lots on the calendar to juggle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment