Thursday, December 27, 2012

Are we there yet?

The 4 day radiation treatment break over the holidays was nice ... but yesterday's treatment sent me into a whole new world of sore when it comes to the skin around my shoulder and collarbone. The Dr said that is often the area where treatment has the biggest impact, because our skin is thinner in those areas. I am so ready to be done, and so not looking forward to heading out the door in a few minutes for another treatment. Since the effects of radiation are cumulative, it just gets a little worse each day ... and I'd like to stop right here, please!

I think morning is one of the worst times for me ... after I shower, I can't put lotion or aloe on before treatment, so the skin is dry and tight. But if I don't shower before I go I feel like a greasy mess from all the lotion I have put on over the last 24 hours. A no-win situation. The nurse recommends bringing the special lotion they give me to put on right after treatment, so I do that each day as I change from the hospital gown back into clothes. Today is my weekly appointment with the nurse, maybe she'll have some idea to give me a little relief that we haven't had to discuss yet. There just aren't many types of creams/lotions/gels they want you to put on your skin, really only what they give me (which was developed by radiation oncologists) and pure aloe gel. Had to even buy a certain brand of that which is the only kind without fragrance. You can't use hot or cold packs on the area, and I'm only supposed to wash the area with lukewarm water.

Looking forward to the end of treatments ... and then full healing within 2-3 weeks after!

0 comments:

Post a Comment