Today was nice ... kids home from school, Mitch off work ... Columbus Day. A day I normally work since offices don't get these holidays, but I was home with the kids, and Mitch had some time to escape to the marina and do his own thing. Sometimes on days like this when I'm having fun with family and relaxing, I almost forget that I have cancer. Almost.
On Saturday I decided that I'd had enough of the huge amounts of sticky tape residue that I have everywhere ... soap and water did nothing to get it off. I swear they must have used about 10 rolls of tape on me, I felt as sticky as fly paper. So I took a sponge bath with rubbing alcohol and it worked wonders. I feel like a new woman! I still can't take a real shower with a surgical drain to deal with ... but soon, very soon. Sponge baths are getting very old. The best part is that Abby has become my personal shampoo consultant and she gives me a salon-style shampoo in the utility sink, complete with a scalp massage and spray rinse. And she doesn't even expect a tip! We may have to continue that even after I can legitimately raise my arms over my head again. Too bad we don't have a reclining salon chair. My hair is coming back pretty good. Drew and I have twin hair do's now, haha.
It continues to take a village to run our lives. On Sunday, Drew came home so we could celebrate his birthday, and Mitch's parents came over to help us celebrate. Usually my morning would have been spent in the kitchen getting ready, baking a birthday cake, preparing food, etc. But it took a village to get us ready, as everyone had to pitch in and do something to make it all come together as I stood and pointed and gave advice, or had things taken out of my hands when I was trying to do too much. I guess it's not all bad to have help in the kitchen ... but as a card-carrying member of the "I'll do it all myself" club for moms, it's a tough adjustment!
Abby did her first full load of laundry today ... from gathering items, washing, drying, folding and putting away. She was QUITE proud of herself. Wonder how long that will last?!?!
Tomorrow afternoon is my first follow up appointment with the surgical oncologist. At one point, my surgery had actually been set for today ... and am I glad that it was moved back, and I'm 11 days on the mend instead of spending tonight in the hospital tonight after surgery today.
Monday, October 8, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment