Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Set Back ...

I was disappointed to still have my surgical drains and low activity level to deal with this 3rd week, but as it turns out, a slow start to this week was probably a blessing in disguise.

On Monday afternoon, I had an hour or so where I had a feeling of "pressure" in my lower abdomen. Not really pain ... just an achy feeling. I spent most of that time with my feet up in the recliner, and only moved around a little bit when the family started coming in from school, work and football practice. About 5:30, I realized there was something more to it ... and realized that about a 3" portion of my abdominal incision had burst open.

I called the surgeon's after hours number and they asked for information, told me to hold, and patched me right through to him on his cell phone. He was very reassuring and helpful, and felt bad because he is out of town. He gave me a name of a person to talk with in his office as soon as they opened Tuesday, and told me what information to give her. When I called, she sprung into action to squeeze me in to their busy morning of appointments. I was able to see the physical's assistant, who I've worked with before. After conferring with the other surgeon on staff, they decided to begin with treatment of silver sulfadiazine burn/wound cream, and see if we can promote healing in that way first. If that would not do the trick, I would most likely have to head back to the operating room for them to reopen the area, clean it up, and close it up again. Obviously that's not what I want to see happen ... so I'm hoping that this cream really does its job.

It's a set back I didn't see coming, and one that has left me feeling a little blue since I really thought I could be back on my feet in a big way by three weeks after surgery ... but the bottom line is this journey is still lived one day at a time. It may not be on my preferred schedule, but ultimately I will heal and get better and move forward!

0 comments:

Post a Comment