My second post-op follow up appointment was on Friday. And while I was really hoping to be free of the last 2 surgical drains ... they are still in place, and will be for a 3rd week.
The guide for the surgeon on removing them is based on a decline of fluid output, and each day I have to empty them, measure the output, and record it on a log three times throughout the day. Mine are still producing too much fluid to be removed. By removing them too early, the fluid can be trapped and cause other complications.
They did inject a solution into the drains that is supposed to help slow the output ... it did get in to one drain, but completely sprayed back on the jacket of the PA on the second one. Ironically, the one that didn't get any in it due to the spray back seems to be slowing, while the one that did get a full dose of the solution is increasing in output. Not sure what to make of that.
It also looked like my incision was taking on more redness, and that a light infection might be building. So they prescribed an antibiotic for 7 days, and off I went. I'll go back again next Friday 8/30. There are a couple of areas that just look like dark, dried blood that I wasn't overly concerned about ... but the PA said that if it doesn't clear up and turns out to be dead skin, those parts of my incision would have to be "re-opened and revised" ... and I don't even want to go there in my thinking right now. I did ask if that would be done in the office and she said yes.
I'm feeling really good and able to move around well ... and they said that might actually be the culprit in the higher fluid levels. Since I'm not feeling bad, it's possible I'm moving too much. While I would consider my activity level to be incredibly low ... we do have steps in our house that I have to use several times a day to go to/from bed and to use the bathroom. They said that the steps might be the primary reason. One thing I've learned in this process is our current home is too divided with too many steps ... and will not be a good choice to live in when we are older! Next house needs to be a ranch style home!
Sunday, August 25, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment