Wednesday, August 14, 2013

At Home, Recovering!

The last week has been a blur ... but I'm very happy to be on this side of the surgery and moving toward feeling stronger each day.

Thursday turned out to be a long day for me, and for all who had to wait for news. Surgery went well and was over at about the projected time, but instead of moving through recovery and into a hospital room in a standard time, I was in recovery for over 5 hours. Most of the delay related to patients being discharged late from the floor I was going to, and rooms were not available. So of course with all of that time I came around and was very aware of what was going on around me, what patients were not being good patients around me, and the chatter of the nurses. All while lying flat on my back and desperately feeling I needed to move. From the time they took me into the OR until the time they were able to raise my head up in my hospital room, I was flat on my back for over 11 hours. My back hurt, my shoulders hurt, my arms felt like they were falling asleep. Once I got into the hospital room, my head and knees could be elevated and it was huge relief.

I would go a full 24 hours after heading to the OR before I was allowed out of bed, and that was up in a chair for a short time. It just felt so good to be off my back after the extended time. I'm not a back sleeper and it's really not a comfortable position for me ... but as of today, I still need to sleep and rest on my back due to the incisions. It's going to be awhile before I can switch back to side sleeping.

After a four day liquid diet, I did finally get a little real food on Sunday night, and that was a major treat. Eating is still much slower and lighter than normal, but it's coming along.

My follow up with the surgeon is in a couple days, on Friday afternoon. There is a chance that 1 of the 3 surgical drains that I came home with might be removed at that time. The other 2 will likely stay in one more week beyond this Friday if all goes well.

Things are going well at home, and my kids continue to amaze me with their maturity and caring ways. Drew had Abby for 5 days and they did so many fun things together that I'm surprised she even wanted to come home, HA. Since I arrived home, TJ and Abby have helped with laundry, ran the vacuum for a little spill we had, washed the dishes, wiped the counters and table, brought things to me when needed, and continue to be sure that I have a full glass of ice water near me at all times. Every night before TJ goes to bed he comes to check on me to see there is anything I need first. Last night Abby even fixed my dinner! Mitch and TJ were gone to a football parents meeting and dinner, and I asked Abby if she'd like to try and make some soup. She agreed and got started on a chicken vegetable noodle soup. She did most of the work except the chopping that required a knife I didn't want her to handle, and it was so good. While I still wish my kids never had to experience what it's like for a family to deal with cancer ... I could not be more proud of them. This will make them better people, and stronger individuals.

I came home with pain meds and a blood thinner injection that I have to give myself daily for 10 days. Having never done that before I was skeptical I could, but it's not as bad as I thought. Abby wanted to watch yesterday when I did it, but she thinks watching once will be enough!

Thanks to everyone for your love and support. I had lots of family there for Mitch in the waiting room, visiting me in the hospital, and sending me pretties and get well wishes. I'm very blessed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment