Lots on my mind the last week or so as I get into the final days before surgery this Thursday. So much to prepare for at home and at work. Nights have been restless, and idle time always brings the anxious feelings to the forefront of my thinking. Knowing that I will not be able to do the tasks that only I do at home and at work are unsettling. Somehow, I guess it will all be accomplished.
I was told to discontinue the only prescription medication I take (Tamoxifen) a week ago in preparation for surgery. The medical oncologist told me not to resume taking it again until I am several weeks into recovery and moving around well. It's a medicine that has proved helpful in holding off recurrence and has had some promising results come out lately in studies. I tolerate it pretty well, with the main two side effects being night sweats and weight gain. I have watched my weight creep up continuously since surgery, which was also when I started taking Tamoxifen. I've really not changed my eating habits or reduced my walking/exercise ... but I just can't drop a pound. Some weeks when doing extra walking and focusing 100% of my nutrition trying to lose, I'll gain a pound. So imagine my surprise to find that after being off Tamoxifen exactly 7 days, I've lost 4 pounds. Apparently the medical oncologist was correct when she told me that despite other efforts, I may not be able to lose weight on Tamoxifen. That's frustrating, but I don't know what else to do besides take it when it's a drug that could potentially extend, and even save, my life.
We're supposed to arrive at the hospital by 6:00 am on Thursday, with surgery scheduled for 8:00. I've been told it should be about a 6-hour procedure. I've also been told the first few days in the hospital could be very rough, and that I could be heavily medicated to keep pain under control. With everything I've been through, and even after both of my c-section births, I've had a very high tolerance for pain and have just pushed through better than I was told to anticipate. So I'm hoping for more of the same, but not really certain what to expect based on the information given to me by the surgeon and by other women who have recently gone through the procedure. And for any procedure, to be hospitalized for 5 days is not the norm in today's insurance world, so that says a lot about what they know I need post-op when I already have a 5 day in-patient approval. All things considered, I will just take it a day at a time and push forward with any discomfort as best I can.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried, so if you wouldn't mind sending a few good vibes, positive thoughts and prayers my way, I'd appreciate it. Right now I need all of the support I can rally from Team Lisa, and to have positive thoughts and positive people surrounding me to help me be successful.
Monday, August 5, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment