Yesterday was my first post-surgery follow up appointment. Getting in and out of the car was manageable. Amazing how much you use those muscle to just live everyday and don't even think about it! Felt like I walked in and out of the building like a little old lady, but I'm definitely moving faster each day.
The surgeon thought everything looked good and was healing well. I still have lots of swelling around the surgery sites and so things look a little funky. He thought I was doing very well getting around, and up and down. I did have one surgical drain removed, and I still have 2 in place. He felt those will probably be ready to come out when I see him again next Friday. Overall, the experience with these drains has been better than the first time. The tubing is thinner and more flexible, and doesn't cause me the discomfort that it did last time. After mastectomy, I felt the drain tube scratch my ribs with every breath and movement, and couldn't wait for it to come out. This time, I really don't feel much discomfort.
Still have 6 daily Lovenox (blood thinner) shots left to give myself. That injection is my least favorite part of each day, but I've just been pushing through. Strange feeling to jab yourself with a needle. But I figure with everything else I've been through, the injections aren't so bad.
Last night I slept in my own bed for the first time in 9 days. It felt pretty good, and of course much more comfortable than the couch I've been on. After a couple of adjustments to get my head propped up a little higher I slept well. Nice to have the bathroom closer and be in more comfortable surroundings. Still sleeping on my back which is not my favorite, but I'll bet by the time those 2 other drains come out next Friday, I'll be able to sleep on my side again.
My appetite is still a little "blah" ... I've been eating lots of fresh fruit and jello, plus some soups and scrambled eggs. I have a real aversion to meat right now. Just chewing the first bite makes me feel like I don't want any more. And lots of foods taste salty to me since my diet was so bland for several days. I'm sure it will eventually all adjust, but right now I'm very happy with a bowl of pasta over a t-bone steak.
Happy to be 9 days post-surgery and feeling good!
Saturday, August 17, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment