This 3rd week of recovery has felt like a week in limbo, a week of lost time ... waiting and waiting, as the surgeon is out of town and his staff does their best job to put together an interim treatment plan until I can see him again.
The burn/wound cream helps keep out the bacteria, but the wound is too large to be healed that way, it appears. The opening across the incision line has increased 2.5 times in length from Tuesday to Friday of this week. I have an appointment to see the surgeon next Tuesday 9/3, and I fully anticipate at that time that he'll say we need to schedule a surgical revision to make this right.
I've felt pretty helpless this week ... what can I do besides sit in the recliner and wait. I had really hoped to be on my feet by Labor Day. Before surgery it was kind of a milestone for me, as I'd be nearing the 4 week mark after surgery and surely I'd be doing better by then. But instead, I may be starting over in a sense next week with new surgical procedures and new stitches and new wound closure. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little frustrated and feeling blue about that ... but I have no options and just have to push forward.
It was tough to miss TJ's first time to take the football field with the THS varsity team Friday night. He's a sophomore and will play mostly on the JV team this year, but he dresses for varsity games as well. He had low expectations of actually getting any varsity play time, but he did get in toward the end of the game. His first JV game is next Tuesday night, and I'll be missing that as well. Next Friday night is the first home game, and it's "Mom's Night" for moms to be on the field with their players. Right now I can't even think about how bad it will feel to miss that one ... but it's likely I won't be there, especially if I have a revision surgery next week. Mitch and the kids spent the day yesterday out on a boat ride, and while I'm glad they are having fun and not stuck at home with me ... it's hard to miss out after this long when you thought you'd be better by now. Like all of my last 17 months, I have to live life one day at a time ... but I sure do feel stuck in limbo as so many good times are just passing by while I am stuck in the recliner.
Sunday, September 1, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment