Thursday, September 27, 2012

Surgery Day

Today's the day ... and I'm sitting here at 6:30 am deprived of my coffee and my breakfast. No food and drink now, and surgery isn't until 1:00. It's going to be a long morning!

People have asked me the past few days if I'm concerned, scared, worried, nervous ... and I'd be lying if I said I'm cool as a cucumber. Oh I might be on the outside, but of course you always have at least some jitters and anxious feelings before something this big. I've never had general anesthesia, so it will be a new experience and hopefully one that goes well. And the recovery is going to be rough, possibly.

Yesterday was a day filled with getting ready around the house. And I spent several hours at the surgical oncologist's office ... much of it waiting for her to arrive after morning surgeries, and then time to talk more serious about my surgery and hospitalization. Lots of daunting statistics about surgery complications, cancer recurrence chances, etc. My surgeon is candid and blunt, but I do like her way of presenting information. It's not going to be an easy time, but I'll get through it.

I had the best kind of surprise last night when Drew came home to have dinner with us, and brought flowers and some of my favorite treats. And wearing his Team Lisa shirt.

I fell apart when I saw him ... a sign of not only how much it meant to me that he was there, but also how much emotion I'd been holding in the past few days. It's a weird time ... trying to keep it together and be strong and do what you need to do.
It was great to have him there for dinner and conversation ... brought much comfort to me. I slept really well after having dinner with my entire family.

So right now the kids are getting up and going through their morning routine, and will leave on the school bus about 7:30. Then it's time for me to occupy about 3 hours until it's time to leave for the hospital. Mitch's dad will be with him in the waiting room, and his mom will be here for the kids after school and for a few days. I'll only be hospitalized about 24 hours, but will definitely need some help once I arrive home.

One bit of good news from the doctor yesterday ... for 2-3 weeks after surgery, absolutely NO:  cleaning, dusting, laundry, lifting, vacuuming ... so see, this really isn't all bad!  :-)

My Facebook page went crazy last night with prayers and good wishes, so many that it was comical. But it meant so much to know how many people care.

Thanks for your continued support ... love you all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment