I walked into the Illinois Cancer Care infusion clinic as a newbie.
I had a full head of hair.
I had stitches protruding from the fresh incision in my chest after getting my medi-port a few days earlier.
I was apprehensive about starting chemo.
I had many sleepless nights wondering how the drugs would affect my daily life.
I had no clue about the experiences that were about to surround me.
I was terrified.
TODAY ~ 21 Weeks Later ...
It has been almost 6 months since my diagnosis. Some days I am still numb over it.
I walked out of the Illinois Cancer Care clinic knowing way too much about what cancer and chemo does to people and their bodies as they receive treatments and fight for their lives.
This is the clinic staff, pictured with me. They wore their Team Lisa shirts today to support me. How awesome is that?
When wearing my bandana in public, I draw lots of long, knowing looks ... and I see the pain in the eyes of those who have walked this path before me.
My hair is growing back. Earlier than the oncologist projected.
Chemo days come and go, most bring fatigue while others do not.
Watching those around you go through this, week after week, changes who you are inside.
I am still terrified. But I am also hopeful for the future.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
21 weeks ago was the start of my journey against the cancer beast. Today closes the chemo chapter, and I am completely finished with the 16 treatments prescribed. In just 3 short weeks, the next chapter begins with surgery and recovery.
I will never forget those who have been there to lift me up. Every. Single. Day.
In honor of my 16th and final chemo treatment, I received a special gift from Marcy, Julie, Zach, Meghan and Brady Scott.
The package arrived late last week with a note to wait to open until today ... and at first, the meaning of that request escaped me. But this morning it became clear that the gift was sent to help celebrate this milestone day.
Thank you for remembering how much this day meant to me, and throughout the whole journey. I wore this to treatment today, and will always remember it was part of my final chemo chapter.





0 comments:
Post a Comment