Monday, September 24, 2012

It Takes a Village

It has been said that it takes a village to raise a child, but I've come to see and believe that it also takes a village to get you through a cancer diagnosis!

So many people have provided support. Sometimes it's the people you least expect, or people that just come out of nowhere with cards, gifts, hugs. 

This weekend I had a visit from my extended village ... two friends who traveled from St. Louis and Louisville to spend a few hours with me. They spent as much time on the road (or more) than seeing me when it comes right down to it ... but how great of them to load up their kids and make the trip to Peoria "just because". 

Gail and Tammy both work for Home Builders Associations as I do, and both run home shows as I do ... and we usually spend about 5 days together each spring at a home show managers conference. I didn't get to attend this year since I had just started chemo, and so they decided to come up for a visit. We ate, we talked, we laughed ... ate some more, talked and laughed some more, and even took the kids bowling. They brought a care package with several things to help get me through the next phase of this journey. 

It's moments like these that make me realize how lucky I really am ... to be surrounded by people who care, who would do anything to help and bring a smile to my face. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment