Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Speed Bump

I guess when things go well for so long you have to expect to hit a set back ... and I have hit a small one. A few days ago I was feeling really tired and generally just not good ... and I noticed what I thought were a couple of insect bites on my lower back, which soon turned into a larger patch of bumps. Today I was diagnosed with shingles. Apparently it's common for cancer/chemo patients to experience this as our immune systems are weakened by the treatment.  All of us who had chicken pox as a child continue to carry the virus our entire lives ... and it only emerges at a time in your life where your immune system is weakened. Perfect match for chemo patients.

I've heard and read it can be fairly painful, but so far have only experienced a slight tenderness in the rash area and it's very itchy. Last night I was running a fever, so the medical oncologist today decided to call off next Tuesday's treatment, which delays my overall chemo regimine by one week. Hopefully it will just be a one week delay and we'll move forward again on June 19 to get the next 12-week round in with just a week's delay.

I'll take a week's worth of an anti-viral medication that is given to lessen the symptoms and length of time you're affected. Fingers crossed!

3 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I'm so sorry! As if you needed something else to add to the list of pains in your butt right now! Hope the anti-virals work well and that you're back on schedule soon. Thinking of you lots and lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, that is not good news. Hope those meds quick in and you recover quickly!!

    Will be thinking of you and saying a prayer that this is the one and only bump in the road!

    xoxo,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lisa, that stinks!!.. hope that you are feeling better soon and get back on schedule....

    ReplyDelete