Today I completed the 6th of 16 scheduled chemo treatments ... so I'm now more than 1/3 of the way to the chemo finish line. These last 10 treatments will go fast at a weekly pace, and in just 10 weeks the chemo chapter will close and we'll move on to a new course of action.
Despite my diagnosis and treatment plan, life goes on ... and our summer is filled with the usual busy activities of work, family, friends. The kind of summer distractions that make the months of June, July & August go by in a blur. Already we cross June off the calendar this coming weekend and head toward July.
Although the weeks go fast, these activities give me pause to think of the future, and what it holds. As we sat at a wedding ceremony and reception last weekend, I found myself continually reflecting on the future of the important life events of my own children. Of course I always knew we'd be older parents for the milestone events for TJ and Abby and that has always been fine for us ... but now, my focus is on just being there and enjoying those events in the future. Typical things a parent wants to do ... two more high school and college graduations. Seeing my daughter walk down the aisle. Dancing with my son during the mother-son dance at his wedding reception. Welcoming their spouses to an ever-growing future family. Sharing the joy of the arrival of grandchildren in the family. All very welcome changes and events, all very deeply part of my future life plan. Very much part of my inner drive and focus for fighting the beast, getting stronger, and living a long life.
And while that focus may seem too far out in the future ... too far removed from the "one day at a time" mantra necessary to get through this time in my life ... I think the joyous expectation of future events is also part of the fight. I could choose to sit and bemoan the likelihood that I'd ever be part of those things, or I can look forward to out-year events with great expectation and joy. One truly never knows what the future brings, no matter what your age, health and personal situation ... so while we live in the focus of one day at a time to manage our struggles, we must also live for the future and anticipate the joys to come in living an extended life.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment