It's the end of the school year, and the crazy schedule of keeping up with the kids is in full swing. Only 4 days of school left, track season is over, TJ played with the HS band at graduation today. Abby has 2 dress rehearsals this upcoming week and then her dance recital Friday night, which brings an end to the dance session year. Days are moving at warp speed, and then the pace changes a bit for the summer. At least for the kids, my work schedule is pretty much the same in the summer as it is during the school year. But there are fewer school projects to deal with, and that's a welcome break.
I've been thinking a lot about my days from this time last year, and how hard I pushed to get through and enjoy the big milestones ... TJ's 8th grade graduation, Drew's college graduation. Looking back and knowing how I really felt physically, I'm surprised I held up as well as I did. Those weeks in May were among the worst of my chemo days, with the first 4 treatments being the most powerful drugs, and the chemo toxins taking a toll on my body. But looking back, I also realize that I pushed through and did what I needed to do to enjoy the milestones of the graduations. And I did enjoy them, immensely. How sad would it be for me now to look back and know I spent those days feeling sick or bedridden and not being able to enjoy them. I think as moms, we just do what we need to do.
As I dropped TJ off to play with band today, I realized how fast his own graduation will be upon us. Today he was playing the drum as a freshman, but all too soon he'll be in cap and gown himself, and moving forward. Each day is a gift, and I look forward to the gift of the next 3 years of life so that I can be part of his next big milestone.
Sunday, May 19, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment