Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Humbling and Wonderful Day

Today was the day I've anxiously awaited for several months, the Peoria Race for the Cure. It's an important day for me, as it's my first year to walk cancer free, as a survivor.

It's said that a picture can speak a thousand words, so I'll let these do some of the talking to show you just how wonderful it made me feel to have the support of Team Lisa. I could never choose the right words to express how much it meant to have everyone there today.

Here are 3 of the reasons that I fight so hard to beat cancer.  So glad my kids were able to take part ... not only is it supportive for me, but it is a teachable moment that life is short and we don't know how many more of these opportunities exist to be together in this way ... so today is a very important day to make it a priority and be together.

 And then there is this wonderful group of people who got up early, arrived at the walk site at 7 am, and put their own personal priorities aside to be there to support me. What a difference a year makes in the emotions and outlook that I had about the event. Last year, I just wanted to survive to see another Race. This year, I celebrate my survivor status with every shred of my being. To have them at my side for this moment of walking in full survivor mode is a humbling honor I just can't describe.

 And then there is Dale ... a firefighter from the Madison, Wisconsin area. Dale didn't know me "in real life" before today ... he had made a Facebook connection with me through a college friend of Drew's. He's traveling to different cancer walks and training for a big walk in Chicago later this year ... and he contacted me for details about the Peoria event. He walked in his firefighter gear and has prepared a pink hat and tank to express his mission to support people like me. I had the honor of being one of the survivors to sign the tank that he will wear in all of his events. Thank you, Dale, for making the trip to be part of Team Lisa today.







Right before the Race began, we heard some kids yelling, "Mr. Scott!" ... and of course, in a sea of 10,000 event participants ... there were 4 of Drew's students, very surprised to see him. LeRoy is over an hour from Peoria, so Mr. Scott was equally surprised to see students from his school!


The sight of 10,000 people walking down a major road is a sight that takes my breath away ... knowing how many women are in this crowd fighting a fight similar to mine, and how many people are there to support them and all of us.







The weather was cool, but really perfect in the sense that you could get warmed up during the 3.3 mile walk and still be comfortable. Thankfully we didn't get rained on at the end like last year!

By the time we got to the finish line, we had become separated from some of our group ... but this part of the group was able to finish together, and celebrate our moment!

Thanks to all who were able to be there today to walk by my side as a survivor.



0 comments:

Post a Comment