Everywhere in the news today are headlines about Hollywood star Angelina Jolie and her announcement that she recently had an elective double mastectomy. And suddenly, many people have asked, emailed, texted and sent Facebook messages, wondering what I think.
Was it necessary? Wise? Extreme? Paranoid?
I will say that my answer to every single person who asked is the same. Only Angelina can make that decision. She knows her family history. She knows her obligations to her young children. She knows her test results. She answers to her own heart. To judge her decision without being in her shoes is just something I cannot do.
I had the same DNA testing that lead her to this decision. My surgeon ordered the testing when I questioned why I was not considering a double mastectomy myself. My individual results dictated the recommendations given to me by the surgeon. But ultimately, the decision on how to proceed was mine.
I'm pleased that her star status brings more attention to the issue of breast cancer and how DNA testing can offer more options for women who have family history and want to take life saving, proactive steps for themselves. Together, we are in it to fight until things are better for all women.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment