This post is brought to you by the letters b-u-r-n.
The accumulation of the first 28 radiation treatments started to show its effect this weekend. I have 3 different areas of skin around the neck, chest and underarm that are burned from radiation and have become purple, blistered and sore. Finding a sleeping position is tough, and the last couple of nights I've taken some pain killers that were left from my surgery. Hoping to turn the corner on this in a few days, or a week at the longest!
Today's radiation, and all 4 that remain, are the boost sessions ... concentrated in an area that centers around my mastectomy incision. Thankfully, the areas of skin that are burned by previous radiation are not part of that area, and are no longer receiving radiation therapy. But the effects on the skin always show up a few days after treatment, it's cumulative and works its way out ... so I likely have a little bit more to tolerate before healing will begin.
After treatment today the nurse insisted that I let the radiation oncologist take a look at my burns, and he thinks it is time for me to switch gears on keeping the burns moist, and move toward letting them have air to begin drying the blisters up. The gel bandages were the only thing giving me relief, but I'm not supposed to use those now. Fortunately I have a few of those pain killer tablets left, and there is an authorized refill on the prescription if I need more. I'm thinking I can get through with what I have left, and will hopefully only need to use them for a few more days/nights.
Looking forward to each day bringing more healing and relief!
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment