Friday, January 25, 2013

What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas ...

But I'm really hoping most of what happened in Vegas followed me home and will be staying with me here as well.

While I had a busy, crazy few days of convention pomp and circumstance, many meetings, lunch appointments, dinners with members ... it was just nice to feel normal again and forget that I'm a cancer patient. At home there are constant reminders. Medicine on the counter, radiation lotion in the bathroom, appointments scribbled on the calendar, the occasional concerned look in a family member's eye. The one thing I've wanted most and felt would be very healing for me was a short getaway from the reality of being a cancer patient ... and oh how good it felt to have one.

This event is a national convention of about 65,000 attendees from all over the world. Many of the people who have the same job that I do in a different city have become friends in the 20 years I've been part of the Home Builders Association world (4 years in St Louis, 16 in Peoria). They have sent notes of concern and good wishes, contributed to my Race for the Cure team, sent gifts to let me know they were thinking of me, etc. But the best is seeing them in person. Of course since they don't live nearby they never saw me in person in my darkest days ... pale, exhausted, no hair from chemo ... but it was so wonderful to run into them now and have people tell me over and over how great I look. Most commented that if they didn't know what I've been through in the past 10 months, they would never have guessed. Their words and hugs are priceless to my positive spirit and recovery.

The flights were delayed both ways, and also at both airports when I came out of the full body scanner ... the one that can see through your clothes ... they pulled me aside for additional screening of my left shoulder and chest. It is, of course, due to the fact that that part of me doesn't look "normal" on the scan after surgery. After a quick pat down they were reassured that I wasn't of danger and I was on my way.

It was great to enjoy several 68 degree sunny days ... and so the very first day I sat outside on a bench for just 10 minutes between meetings in the sun in a short sleeved shirt, soaking up the warmth and good feeling. As I was seated at my next meeting I looked down and the hives had returned all over my arms. OOPS. So I didn't sit out in the sun after that. The hives also ended up reappearing some on my legs, I guess due to the miles and miles I put on this week walking. They aren't itchy, just increased in color intensity ... so I think it's more of a matter of they really weren't cleared up completely and it will just take some time.

I see the radiation oncologist next week for a follow up, and my burns are healing very well. I would guess it will be my last appointment with him since it will be the end of that cycle of treatment. I guess it's possible he'll want to see me in 3 months, but I hope I'm finished with that part of the process and he'll leave me in the capable hands of the medical oncologist and surgical oncologist.

0 comments:

Post a Comment