Sunday, September 22, 2013

Out of Hibernation

I've had a couple of chances to come out of hibernation this weekend. Neither were planned, both by chance ... but it did feel good to get out and be in public and the real world for a short time.

On Friday a friend had taken the day off and offered to pick me up and go to lunch. Right now I'm functioning day by day. Some are good, while others leave me feeling tired and running a low grade fever. Friday was a good day though, and we ventured out to a tea room for lunch and some good conversation. We were only gone a couple of hours, but it was very nice.

On Saturday Drew sent a text and said he was free all day, and wondered if I'd like to go see the Wizard of Oz movie that has been released in 3D and is in theaters for just a week. He knows it is one of my all time favorite movies, and so I jumped at the chance. After all the years of seeing it on the tv screen, it was wonderful to see it on the big screen ... and to have the afternoon with Drew. Once again, my kiddos reached out to do something special for mom. It means the world ... I don't know how I could have kept my mind and spirit together these past couple of months without the special things they have done. Not just the things you expect to do for someone when they are laid up, but all 3 have gone out of their way to say and do things for me that mean the world. They have been my nurse, my house cleaners, my protectors ... but they have also been there at the most highly charged emotional moments, and the lowest moments, to say and do just the right thing, and show me how much they care. It's those little things that mean the most.

This week I'm going to have to shift a little bit back into work mode. There is an event at my office that lasts all day, and won't conclude until after an evening dinner. I'm trying to cover some of the time with others who can help ... ... but the bottom line is there are just some hours I need to be there. I think the worst part of it that I envision isn't getting tired and worn out from being there ... it's the reality that every couple of hours I need to change bandages, and if not done on a regular schedule I end up soaking through the bandages and getting clothes damp. I'll have to take lots of supplies and find a private place to do the changes. And I think I'd better take a change of clothes, just in case!

Here's to week 7 bringing a breath of life back into my world!

0 comments:

Post a Comment