Monday, September 23, 2013

The Final Chapter, of Sorts


18 months ago when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was given a mind boggling list of what my treatments would include ...

1) Chemo
Check

2) Mastectomy
Check

3) Radiation
Check

4) Reconstruction
Check

I started this blog because I wanted, and needed, a place to share my innermost thoughts and fears. A place where I could chronicle my journey. A place where no matter how scared or hopeful I was, no one would judge how I felt. A place where accurate information would be told about my treatments and health status for anyone who wanted to know how I was doing at that time.

I enjoy writing, and I hope that came through in my posts. Writing about my journey was very therapeutic for me. Many of you have taken time to comment to me personally, send me emails or cards and let me know that you enjoyed my style of writing.

But now that reconstruction has fallen into the "check" category ... I'm feeling that this blog has mostly fulfilled its intended purpose. This won't be the last post ever ... but certainly is one to document the final chapter of this journey.

Until you've walked in the shoes of a cancer patient, you can't begin to imagine their emotions, thoughts, fears, hopes, dreams, goals. I hope I gave you a glimpse inside some of the best, and even the lowest times that I've been through. These writings were very personal to me. It was a bit like handing you my teenage diary, little gold key and all, and letting you read my worst fears and biggest dreams.

I'm not saying that I won't ever post here again, because I will ... there are days like the Race for the Cure or other special events where Team Lisa is needed to turn out in big numbers and lift me up. I'll document those special days, just for myself if not for readers. But my posts will definitely be much less frequent. We do still have a fairly large and active "Team Lisa" Facebook page, and I'd say the lion's share of people trying to stay connected check in there instead of here anyway.

I hope that a new chapter never needs to be opened in my story. A chapter that requires this blog about my journey to be brought back to life. But I'm well aware that I can't say I'm cured or that old cliche saying "this too shall pass" does not apply to my health. I'll be a cancer patient for the rest of my life ... and if I face new challenges in the future, I will face them just as I've faced the past 18 months ... from a positive perspective. And once again, I would be opening my heart, to let you inside to see.

Thanks for your support.

~ Save the date, Peoria Race for the cure ... May 10, 2014.

0 comments:

Post a Comment