Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Surgical Follow-Up

Finally got to see the surgeon yesterday as he returned to the office from vacation and holiday weekend. When seeing his PA (physician's assistant) last week ... she was really laying out the worst of the worst case scenarios about the ruptured incision. But he took a look and said it will heal on it's own. Slowly. It make take 6 weeks to heal, but the healing happens from the inside out and he feels the tissue is all still healthy and the wound will eventually close.

6 weeks is a long time to stay bandaged up and put medicine on 2x a day ... but it is much preferred for me right now than heading back to the operating room. Again.

I have been running a low grade fever most evenings. They don't seem to be overly concerned about any fever under 101. Today I was feverish most of the afternoon and it has been running 100.3 to 100.9 ... so I'll definitely have to watch it over the next few days. The antibiotic I was taking was finished on Sunday, so I don't want something to take hold since that has worked its way out of my system.

I'll return to see the surgeon next Tuesday, and he'll look at the wound and maybe even if I'm lucky ... the last surgical drain will be ready to come out one of these days! It has still been draining about 4 times the level of fluid that they look for to know it's ok to take it out, so I'm not even close. Yesterday they injected a solution of doxycycline for the 3rd time ... which was supposed to slow the output of fluid the first time. And second time. And this time. Fingers crossed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment