Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lucky # 13

Today I completed chemo treatment #13 of 16 ... now over 80% finished with chemo! Three more sessions to go, wrapping up on September 4.

All was good with blood counts again, and the Dr continues to be pleased with my body's tolerance of the drugs. My main side effects have been hair loss (of course), some early nausea, and mainly fatigue ... although I've had a few weird things like dry eyes, dry mouth and my fingernails and toenails have developed lines and some purple coloring. I still can't wear my contacts, my eyes are just too dry ... and if I put them in for even an hour, my eyes get completely red.

Chemo is life saving treatment, but the drugs are brutal on the body. I look around the chemo clinic and count my blessings. I have been going into this clinic almost weekly for four months, since mid-April. And because I always go on Tuesday, I am usually there with other clients who receive their treatments on Tuesday, so basically the same people each week. There are a couple of women going through treatment for breast cancer who walked in to the clinic in the beginning ... and they now come in by wheelchair, they are just too weak. I watch people get turned away, week after week, because their blood counts are not stable enough to receive treatment. Another woman is overcome with nausea, can't eat and is down to 87 pounds. There are younger people and older people ... some have finished treatments while I've been there, and others are on continuous treatment plans, with no end in sight like me.

The nurses at the clinic take what should be a real downer of an experience and somehow turn it into an atmosphere full of laughter and smiles. They have definitely found their calling, and go above and beyond the call of duty medically, as well as emotionally. All 12 patients receiving chemo at the same time sit in one big open room, with recliner chairs arranged in a u-shape. So you are very aware of many personal details of others' treatment since you are out in the open. But you're also there to chat and lend support to one another when needed, so I guess in the end it balances out.

Today one of my nurses wore a "Team Lisa" shirt during treatment. I am lucky. I am blessed.

1 comment:

  1. GO Lisa! Keeping you and your family in our hearts -
    Katrina and Mike

    ReplyDelete