Tuesday, August 7, 2012
And the number is ...
FOUR! Only 4 chemo sessions left. I have now completed 12 of 16 treatments ... 75% finished. That feels very good!
Blood counts were all in normal range again this week, I have been so lucky on that front. If your white or red blood counts or your platelets are out of normal range, it affects the way you feel and your energy level. Chemo can cause extreme fatigue by doing battle with your blood counts, and they tell me over and over the reason I have felt so good is due to my blood counts holding their own against the chemo.
My hair continues to grow slowly, and the last two weeks the clinic staff has all marveled at how well it's growing back while I'm still receiving chemo. They laugh and rub my fuzzy locks. The Dr's medical assistant told me today she gives me the award for the most hair ever grown back while still receiving chemo, haha
It's still not long enough for me to keep my head uncovered ... I even still wear a bandana around the house, as I still feel bald ... but it is coming in and we're making progress. Maybe a month from now when I'm finished with chemo I'll be able to have a short, spiked haircut that can go without a bandana, but not yet!
My only complaint right now is a very selfish one ... and that is simply I really want a long weekend or a short trip somewhere to unwind. Just for a few days, to get my mind and spirit refreshed by being away from chemo and clinics, conversations with other cancer patients, and needles and Dr's appointments. Time with my family to relax. So I'm whiny about it because it just isn't going to happen. I want to close my eyes and enjoy the sound of the waves, and feel sand between my toes, and of course (not too much) sun shining its warmth on me. Or I could be just as happy to skip the sun during the day and walk the beach at night. It would just be so energizing and motivating to be in my happy place, on the beach, sooner rather than later. Just 8.5 months until spring break I keep reminding myself. But that feels like an eternity right now.
I said that to one of my sisters-in-law and she's in CA on a trip right now ... so she sent me these pics to help me relax and pretend.
Our 30th anniversary is December 26, don't you think a trip sounds like a perfect way to celebrate? HA
In the meantime, life and time march on regardless of my selfish longing for the beach ...
TJ and Abby are just 15 days from the start of the new school year ... Drew has worked on his classroom several days already and has more to be done. He has teacher workshops for 2 days and then the school year starts for him in just 13 days. I remember in April saying how long it seemed that I would not finish chemo until after summer break and the start of the new school year ... and here I am, so close!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Wow, only 4 more?!?! That completely rocks! You are totally kicking chemo's butt and yay for your hair already coming back!
ReplyDeleteWe're headed to the beach (planned a last minute trip to offset our crappy summer) and I so wish you could go with us. We will definitely take a special "Just for Lisa" pic and send it to you.
Take care girl and keep on keeping on!