Tuesday, February 5, 2013

3 Month Follow Up

Today was my 3 month follow up appointment with my medical oncologist, the doctor who is the lead medical provider on my medical care from here forward. I had blood drawn yesterday, and all of my lab reports were good today ... so I've graduated to the next level where I can go 6 months between appointments!

There are several things she will monitor closely on my lab reports each time ... the first being tumor markers and the levels of a certain type of protein that can indicate concern for tumor growth and activity. She said many times the protein tests give false positives, but you can't be too careful ... so if my "tumor markers" were up from the baseline number that was part of yesterday's blood draw they would send me for a PET scan. Otherwise, there won't be any additional PET scans in my future, because I've already been exposed to a lot of radiation through scans and radiation therapy.

One of the other levels they will monitor is a Vitamin D reading in my blood work. New research is showing a strong connection between a patient's Vitamin D level being in a certain range and a more positive survival rate. Since sunlight is something that I won't be worshipping at the same level as I did pre-diagnosis (but just try to keep me off the beach, under my umbrella) ... proper levels will be important to maintain in other ways than sunlight.

The clinical trial she wanted to put me in was closed to new patients now, and I can thank the delay in my visit and opportunity to participate to those hives ... but something will likely come along that will be a good fit, and my medical oncologist is very active in enrolling her patients in clinical trials.

Otherwise, the other main emphasis is food ... emphasizing eating fewer processed/boxed foods and more fresh fruit/vegetables. Less white sugar and white flour and more whole grains. And of course, daily exercise. I'm good with all of that and glad that I started down a healthier path to life in 2011 and had some of that under control before diagnosis in 2012.

Glad to have a 6 month break from these appointments while I deal with my upcoming reconstruction surgery this spring. By the time I return, I will have had my surgery and should be fully recovered and active again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment