Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

We're looking forward to having a nice family dinner tomorrow, and to having Drew around for a couple of days as well. Nice to have everyone under the same roof for awhile!

Today I completed my 4th radiation treatment, and have 29 to go. I'm in and out pretty fast, and quickly on my way to work. I am definitely trying to find the best way to transition back into the pace and activity of going to work after working from home for several weeks. It seems strange that I've gone out the door to work almost every weekday morning for 30 years, and now it wears me out to do it after just a few weeks of rest and recovery ... I'm exhausted at night after going to work for the day. I can hardly keep my eyes open after the sun sets, and that is early now with the clocks set back!

Yesterday I ran into a woman I met really early in my diagnosis, and she was several steps ahead of me in the whole process. She had just returned from a 10 day trip to Hawaii, a surprise trip planned by her husband to recognize and celebrate the battle she fought and won over the past year, including chemo, surgery, radiation and reconstruction surgery ... and she looked so great. So confident, so relaxed, so strong. I am very much looking forward to being on that "side" of all of this. With chemo and surgery in the rear view mirror and radiation underway now ... it is definitely on my horizon. Most likely my reconstruction surgery won't happen until mid-April to mid-May and that will involve another physical recovery of a few weeks ... but by next summer, I want to be the one who people run into and see a confident, relaxed person who is just trying to live life to its fullest. I know I can get there.

Happy Thanksgiving. Amidst our concerns and battles this year ... we have lots to be thankful for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment