Sunday, November 18, 2012

First Radiation Treatment

1 radiation treatment down, 32 to go.

My appointment took a little longer than it probably will from here on out because they had to do some changes in my position on the table, take a few x-rays, and make some more lines and marks on my body in the radiation field. They will touch those up every day now since I'll be seeing them on a regular basis, so no real fears about them washing off in the shower now that treatment is underway.

There was a continuous line of people coming in, changing into a gown, being called back for treatment, coming back to get dressed and leave. That has been my experience so far at all 3 of my oncologist's offices ... cancer is widespread in our population, and most clinics seem to have a full load of patients wherever I go for care. Before all of this I would never have guessed as many people receive treatment as I have encountered ... you never really understand until you are part of the process.

So I'll have 3 more treatments this week, and then 4 days off for the holiday. Starting next Monday, I'll have an appointment with the radiation oncologist right after my treatment every Monday to assess how things are going and to identify any problem areas. The major side effects are fatigue and skin irritation in the radiation field. It's a cumulative process, so those issues tend to increase as we go along with more treatments, and then will take a few weeks after treatment to heal and subside. Unfortunately with the timing of treatments, those side effects will be near peak right at Christmas, but we'll take that one day at a time. Everyone is different, maybe mine will be more manageable than others.

Here we are in phase 3 of my treatment, just a couple of days past the 8 month mark since I was diagnosed. I remember how far away this all felt last March when the plan was being put before me, in those days where I barely slept because my mind was spinning with concerns and fears. I continue to be blessed with an amazing level of medical care and surrounded by excellent medical professionals ... and onward I go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment