Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Independence Day

On this eve of Independence Day, I found this article. Just at a time where I'm struggling with many of the same thoughts and feelings as the author. More and more, life is returning to normal around me. Some days, I go to work or kid activities or the grocery store and things feel normal ... and I almost forget that I am a breast cancer suvivor.

Almost.

I won't ever have "independence day" from cancer. It will always be with me. It's gone, but more accurately ... kept at bay ... for now.

People around me still show love and care and concern. It's just different now. While I hope that my journey has been a one-round battle, the thought of the future hangs over me.

Every day.

I could have written parts of this article (except for one swear word, not my style). But I can so identify with this. Support those around you, whether they are newly diagnosed, undergoing treatment, or just trying to get through each day without fear of recurrence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/erika-lade/cancer-friendship_b_3539970.html

Next week I'm due for my 6-month blood work for my July appointment with the medical oncologist, and I'm wondering if they may have to take what will seem like a quart of blood out of me since I also need my pre-surgery blood work soon ... and I'm going to attempt to have it all taken in one draw. While I feel great, I doubt that I'll ever head into these "routine" blood draws and follow up appointments without feeling anxious about the concerns. In my case, the medical oncologist will monitor blood levels that serve as "tumor markers" to be sure that the red flags of new tumor growth are not there. She has warned me that there can be false positives, which bring great stress to her patients. If something shows up in the blood work of concern, I would have to have a PET scan. Fingers crossed all will look great and no scans required.

Reconstruction surgery is just 6 weeks away, and so some anxious feelings are beginning to swirl around in my brain over that as well. I'll be hospitalized 3-4 days and recovery is more difficult than my last surgery. Looking forward to getting that completed and moving forward through one more step of my journey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment