Saturday, June 8, 2013

Walk the Walk

Since my diagnosis, I've experienced the up and down momentum of living with cancer. At first, the outpouring of support is humbling. And as you get through treatment and start to get better, people naturally take a step back and focus on their own personal priorities. They give fully in your darkest hour, and at some point as your days get brighter, they become a little more arms length, but are always there to support you if you need them.

But for the cancer patient and their immediate family, I think diagnosis, treatment and the possibilities of recurrence are always there ... like a shadow on a sunny day that you can't get away from, no matter how fast you run. When I was diagnosed, I had several people tell me I would find blessings in my diagnosis. As crazy as it sounded to me at the time ... for what good could possibly come of a life-threatening diagnosis ... blessings were indeed found. One important one for me was helping others, participating in cancer events to give back, and reaching out to those who need a hand. It brings me joy and fulfillment, and helps me pay forward what I received in some pretty dark days.

The Race for the Cure event in Peoria has been, and I suspect will continue to be, one of my main focus points. While Team Lisa was smaller in 2013 than it was right after diagnosis in 2012, it was no less important to me this year than last. In some ways, it felt even more fulfilling than last year, because last year I was still in the fog of diagnosis and undergoing chemo. This year I was strong and moving forward.

And there is the Relay for Life in Pekin that we participated in last year. I didn't see a single person in a bandana besides myself ... but it was quite clear that cancer had touched many of the people there. This year will be a good year to take part as a survivor, and support an organization with a great mission.

Possibly one of the "walk the walk" moments I'll be most proud of is that Drew left today for Boone, Iowa to be a camp counselor at a children's cancer camp. These kids are all cancer patients, some currently in treatment and others post-treatment. They will laugh and swim and enjoy camp like every other child who goes to camp ... but they will have the support of each other if they are dealing with scary things like medicines, hair loss, surgery and scars. He has 11 boys in his cabin, and I know he'll be of great support for them. I'm so proud that he felt drawn to be there and help.


0 comments:

Post a Comment