Sunday, March 25, 2012

The little things are the big things

I've had such a hard time talking about this outside of a small group of my closest friends and family ... I guess I'm just a private person by nature, and then when you factor in the thought of falling apart emotionally in front of people, that makes starting the conversation even more difficult.

From the very beginning, those that knew did everything they could to offer support and reassurance. They are the people you know you can count on, so that's why you confide in them. And they never disappoint with their support, hugs, sharing of tears, offers to help, offers to go to appointments, and even just a good laugh sometimes when you need to choose between laughing or crying about the situation.

We learned more about my course of treatment when we had the first consult with the surgical oncologist Thursday night. She is an amazing person and knowledgeable medical professional, and I'm feeling very good about being in her very capable hands.

This next week will bring lots of medical procedures and appointments to prepare me to head to battle the cancer beast. We're squeezing a couple of weeks of tests into 5 working days this week so that we can go on our pre-planned spring break trip to Destin. That beach is our home away from home, and I know I'll feel safe and comfortable there. It is definitely our happy place ... and we need the distraction right now.

After returning, during the week of April 9, I will begin chemo treatments that will last through the end of the summer. And then in the fall, surgery is on the agenda. It's going to be a long, tough road ... and I'm going to need you all.

Over the past few days I started testing the waters by sharing my news with some friends who are very dear, but who are not a part of my daily life. They are friends from previous times in life, fellow adoptive moms, colleagues in my work world who I know from conferences, and families from on-line adoption support groups. Some of them I might see once a year, many I have not met at all ... but we have been united by some common thread in our work or personal lives.

The outpouring of love and support from this group has been amazing as well. Within a very short time I received a continuous stream of messages full of hope and support, notes letting me know that they have joined my Race for the Cure team, or are participating in an event where they will walk or run with my name on their shirt, adding me to a special display for those fighting cancer, wearing pink bands to think of me while they run in an event, and even last night, one person baking some very special pink cupcakes while holding me close to her heart. The little things are the big things. The list will go on, I have no doubt. Thank you all for lifting me up on your shoulders as we head into battle. I've started a photo gallery to document some of these little things, because they are very big in my heart. CLICK HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment