One year ago today, I walked into the chemo clinic for the first time, ready to do battle. I remember I didn't sleep much the night before, with many concerns of diagnosis and then what the treatment really meant ... pumping my body full of toxins so I could have a chance to live. Kind of ironic.
I had so much on my plate at that time ... 5 months of chemo, sugery and its unknowns, followed by radiation. Getting through one phase was a daunting task, thinking of getting through all three phases was too much to handle. So I did my best to live through it all one day at a time.
My chemo experience was as good as one could possibly hope for due to the skills of my medical oncologist and the amazing staff at the infusion clinic of Illinois Cancer Care. I saw a lot during the 16 times I sat in that chair, which would have been a cumulative total of about 40 hours. I met people who didn't have reason to feel strong and hopeful. I met people whose fear was evident in their eyes as we chatted. I shared conversation with people who are no longer here with their families today. Strangers became friends, as they often do in times of distress and trauma. And for all the wonderful people who held my hand in the beginning and told me to stay strong, stay hopeful ... I was able to pay it forward and do the same for others at the end of the 5 months, when I was a veteran patient instead of the rookie.
My time in the clinic hasn't quite come to a close, as I still have to go in every 6 weeks to have a saline flush of my medi-port. The port will come out in August with my reconstruction surgery, so I'll have several more times to visit. And, of course, I'll have follow up appointments with the medical oncologist there for the rest of my life. But today, I am grateful for the love and care that came my way in the clinic. Thank you all.
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment